If you’re a seasonal eater, you’ll know that despite the fact that supermarkets source strawberries and other berries seemingly all year round, the REAL season for them is happening right now. Your local food market is a far better indicator of what’s in season: and it’s that time of year when berries start showing up in crateloads.
Last night at the fabulous Earth Fair Market in Tokai, I picked up the most delicious organic and naturally-grown berries from Sugarberry Trading (they have strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, gooseberries). For me, berries that are sourced locally and grown naturally are worth the winter wait – not only do they taste way better than the artificially-grown out-of-season variety, but their carbon footprint is so much lower, and I’m willing to hold out for that!
Anyway, in celebration of all things strawberry, the Stellenbosch Fresh Goods Market is having a strawberry fair this weekend. I think it’s a wonderful way to highlight the seasonal aspects of food, and it’s usually really fun. The whole Stellenbosch market turns pink and all foods and products are made with fresh seasonal strawberries as an ingredient.
Last year they had Strawberry Pesto for ice creams, Strawberry Sausage, Rose Strawberry cordials, Strawberry bakes, cakes and preserves, Strawberry Daiquiris and menus adapted to include strawberry salads, Italian flatbreads and so much more. A “visual and culinary feast to celebrate the official start of summer”.
What’s on the cards for this year’s event:
- Chef Jean Nel at Flamed will be making Gorgonzola, watercress and strawberry terrine with melba toast and/or strawberry, mixed lettuce, olive salad with wasabi cream.
- By Nature will be launching their new preservative & sugar free dried strawberries.
- Sweet Tempations will be launching a fantastic new pink port and strawberry flavoured toffee in time for this event.
- Oded’s Kitchen offers Strawberry Preserve with Vodka Jam & Earl Grey Jam respectively. Visit their stand for a fresh take on cool gin & strawberry daiquiri’s.
- Arnim & Elke will be serving up those famous waffles with their new homemade vanilla ice-cream and berry sauce. Some delectable German cheesecake, cream cake, chocolate cake and butter crumble infused with fresh berries.
- Rudis Deli handmade organic pork, sun dried strawberry and strawberry liquor infused sausage.
- Brendas homemade Strawberry Jams served up with artisan cheeses.
- Spikkel products will have original strawberry & lavender infused preserves and homemade strawberry syrup.
- Smulpaap with include a delectable goats cheese, strawberry, roasted nut salad served with a light balsamic glaze.
- The Traveling Oyster will serve a sweet red onion & berry vinaigrette with their tempura prawns, calamari and West Coast Oysters, coupled with Du Toitskloof bubbly and strawberries.
- Naudeli will be baking sweet berry infused breads served with berry dips.
- G-Juice will be bringing you Bonnievale fresh pomegranates, juices and a delectable pomegranate reduction perfect for summer desserts.
- For the Kids! Scoops and scoops of strawberry ice cream cones! and so much more…
Here’s hoping the weather plays along…
Strawberry Fair Event Details:
When: Saturday 5 November 2011 – 9am-2pm (rain or shine)
Where: Oude Libertas, Stellenbosch (how to get there)