Markets in Cape Town and suburbs
Central Cape Town
- Neighbourgoods Market (Woodstock) Popular gourmet and fresh produce market in Woodstock. SATURDAYS 9am-2.30pm
- Willowbridge Slow Market. Willowbridge Lifestyle Centre, Northern Suburbs. Saturdays 9am-3pm. High-quality specialty producers, food artisans, local and regional farmers, natural and organic merchants, seasonal goods, responsible and sustainable enterprises and fine-food purveyors. more info
- Hout Bay Organic Market (Hout Bay). New organic market for Hout Bay (since Feb ’09)… perfect for locals who want to stock on some organic goodies for the weekend. Thursday mornings 9am-1pm. At THE HEALTH PATH. 41 Victoria Av. Hout Bay (opposite the medical centre).
- Imhoff Farmers Market (Kommetjie) Relaxed farmers market at Imhoff Farm, near Kommetjie. SATURDAYS 10am-2pm **CANCELLED**
- Kalk Bay Fresh Etc Market (Kalk Bay) A new monthly fresh goods market (debut 19 October 2008) for Kalk Bay. 3RD SUNDAY of every month. 10am to 3pm. Some organic produce.
- Triangle Square Market. Triangle Square building, Main Rd, FISH HOEK. Every Saturday 9am-2pm. Nice little covered market offering everything from delicious cheeses to fresh fish products, a decent cup of coffee and a few craft items. more info
- Constantia Waldorf Organic Market (Constantia) Small, but well stocked organic and biodynamic market in leafy Constantia. FRIDAYS 11am-3pm (ish)
- Mielie Market @ Montebello (Newlands). Buy fresh organic produce (picked that morning) from a community food garden in Khayelitsha. All proceeds go towards establishing the garden. FRIDAYS 9am-1pm (not on public holidays)
- Obs Night Market (Observatory) A new community market (debut 30 October 2008) for Observatory. Some fresh organic vegetables from Oude Molen – available. THURSDAYS 5-9pm **CANCELLED**
- Rondebosch Organic Market (Rondebosch) A small weekly market held in covered stalls outside the Rondebosch library. SATURDAYS 7.30am-midday
- Timour Hall Organic & Biodynamic Farmers Market (Plumstead) A simple but well-stocked fresh produce market popular with southern suburbs foodies. SATURDAYS 10am-middayish.
- Porter Estate Produce Market (Tokai) Rustic outdoor market in the lower edges of Tokai Forest. One stall sells organic vegetables (more expensive than at most other markets), and others have selected organic produce. SATURDAYS 9am-1pm
- Soil for Life (Constantia) Organic produce available at Soil For Life centre, and on Friday mornings at the Constantia Waldorf School organic market (every Friday from 11am)
Markets a short drive from Cape Town
- Nitida Farmers’ Market (Durbanville) Monthly feast of fresh farmers’ produce at the Nitida Wine Estate in Durbanville. LAST SATURDAY of every month. Summer times: 7.30am – 12noon. Winter times 9am – 1.30pm.
- Stellenbosch Fresh Goods Market (Stellenbosch) A Slow Food market consisting of producers selling products they have sourced, grown, raised, harvested, caught, preserved or transformed themselves. The market place is located on the Dorpstreet square in Bosman’s Crossing trading village in Stellenbosch and is open SATURDAYS from 9am to 2pm
- Elgin Valley Market Elgin Valley. Peregrine Farmstall, off the N2. SATURDAYS 9am-2pm. A new farmers market offering fresh, wholesome, fruit, vegetables, cheese, bread, olives, olive oil, wines, everything culinary that is healthy, wholesome and organic, sourced from the Elgin Valley. Check out the website for updates. CLOSED DURING WINTER SEASON (last summer ’08/’09 market – 25 April ’09)
- Fernkloof Farmers Market. Overberg Region. Fernkloof Nature Reserve Picnic Site, every Saturday morning from 7.30 – 11.30 am. Enjoy a “unique outdoor deli experience in the beautiful Fernkloof Nature Reserve, where you can buy good, wholesome, local fresh produce, direct from the source”. Over 30 traders offer some of the best foods from the Overberg region.